- BEFORE THE ENVIRONMENT COURT AT CHRISTCHURCH
- IN THE MATTER
- of the Resource Management Act 1991 (''the Act'')
- IN THE MATTER
- of an application for a Water Conservation Order under section 201 of the Act
- WHITE WATER NEW ZEALAND (INC)
- (Previously known as the New Zealand Recreational Canoeing Association) Appellant
NOTICE OF SUBMISSION (APPEAL)
Solicitor: M A Baker
Level 10, Otago House
Cnr Moray & Princes Street,
Private Bag 1959,
Tel 03 477 3973
Fax 03 477 3184
To: The Registrar
White Water New Zealand (Inc) ("WWNZ") previously known as the New Zealand Recreational Canoeing Association ("NZRCA") submits appealing part of a report on the following matter:
Water Conservation Order for the Hurunui River.
- WWNZ received a notice of the Report on 14 August 2009.
- The decision was made by a Special Tribunal appointed by the Minister for the Environment.
- The part of the Report that WWNZ is submitting on/appealing is the recommendation not to apply a Water Conservation Order to the South Branch of the Hurunui River.
- The reasons for the submission/appeal are as follows:
- The Report recommends recognition and protection of the "Maori Gully" section of the mainstem of the Hurunui River for its outstanding white water recreation, natural character and wild and scenic values. The Report recommends that all tributaries except for the South Branch be protected for their contribution to the outstanding white water recreation values. WWNZ considers that the South Branch makes a necessary and vital contribution in terms of the natural flow regime to the outstanding white water recreation, natural character and wild and scenic values in the mainstem of the Hurunui River.
- WWNZ seeks the following relief:
- Inclusion of the South Branch of the Hurunui River from its source in the main divide of the Southern Alps down to its confluence with the Hurunui River mainstem, including the North Esk River and all contributing waters (including hydrologically connected groundwaters) in the Water Conservation Order:
- for preservation in its natural state; and
- for recognition of its contribution to outstanding white water recreation in the mainstem.
The following documents are attached to this Notice (not on online version):
- A copy of the Special Tribunal Report (PDF, 3MB);
- A list of names and addresses of persons to be served with a copy of this notice;
- A copy of the application for a water conservation order on the Hurunui River.
Counsel for White Water New Zealand
Date: 2 September 2009
Address for service of the appellant:
Anderson Lloyd Lawyers
PO Box 1959
Phone: 03 477 3973
Fax: 03 477 3184
Whitewater NZ Hurunui WCO Appeal (PDF, 81KB)