NZOIA WWNZ River Rescue Level 2 Scope and Syllabus
River Rescue Level 2 Profile
The NZOIA / WWNZ River Rescue Level 2 holder will have been trained in the following skills in Class 3 white-water:
- River hydrology
- River running strategies
- Equipment selection
- Self rescue
- Bank based rescue
- Boat based rescue
- Swimmer based rescue
This certificate is part of a pathway for recreational and professional paddlers to better enable them to kayak safely with their peers, when leading a group, or when providing an instructional or guided experience. This certificate does not define the ability to lead or instruct.
River Rescue Level 2 is a pre-requisite for participation in the NZOIA Kayak Instructor Level 2 assessment.
To enable meaningful learning in all aspects of the syllabus it is required that participants have the following kayaking experience:
- No less than 10 river trips on Class 3 white-water, and sufficient experience that you are competently and confidently paddling in this environment, including rolling
- Have attended a River Rescue Level 1 course
The NZOIA / WWNZ River Rescue 2 certificate holder is recommended to update their skills through a refresher course every three years.
- 1. Self, boat and bank based rescue
- 2. Selection and correct use of kayaking gear and safety equipment commonly used in New Zealand
- 3. Knowledge of common river hazards
- 4. Controlled river running on Class 3 white-water
- 5. Working within a team to deal with rescue scenarios
- 6. Organise and lead a group to deal with rescue scenarios
© NZOIA and Whitewater NZ June 2014.