Our purpose is to preserve New Zealand's whitewater resources and enhance opportunities to enjoy them safely.

Cancelled

Whakamarino/Piripaua release

Date: 
Sunday, May 7, 2017 - 10:00 - 16:00
Section: 
Whakamarino

Cancelled due to conflict with final Wairoa release.

Whakamarino/Piripaua release

Date: 
Saturday, May 6, 2017 - 10:00 - 16:00
Section: 
Whakamarino

Cancelled due to conflict with final Wairoa release.

Whakapapa natural flow

Date: 
Sunday, September 3, 2017 - 09:00 - 17:00
Organiser: 
Genesis Energy

Sunday 3, 10:39am: postponed, will try backup day 24 September.

(Backup day Sunday 24 September.)

Recreational releases from Whakapapa Intake require 16 cumecs or natural flow, whichever is greater. If the expected 16 cumecs is not reached on the planned day of the event, then it is deferred to the back-up day. If there is still insufficient flow on the back-up day, then the event is cancelled. Please check www.rivers.org.nz for release updates.

Whakapapa natural flow

Date: 
Saturday, September 2, 2017 - 09:00 - 17:00
Organiser: 
Genesis Energy

(Backup day Saturday 23 September.)

Recreational releases from Whakapapa Intake require 16 cumecs or natural flow, whichever is greater. If the expected 16 cumecs is not reached on the planned day of the event, then it is deferred to the back-up day. If there is still insufficient flow on the back-up day, then the event is cancelled. Please check www.rivers.org.nz for release updates.

Tongariro release (Rangipo, Access 14)

Date: 
Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:00 - 16:00

Cancelled due to a rahui in place currently covering an area that will impact Access 14 and Access 13. (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/96048013/rahui-put-on-during-search-for...). Genesis have been in contact with the Iwi and have let us know that the Rahui will continue past next weekend.

Genesis are supplying a replacement Access 10 release on Sunday 17 September.

Mangahao release

Date: 
Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:00 - 16:00
Section: 
Mangahao Gorge

The Mangahao release unfortunately cannot proceed as the gates have failed. The slalom course will be operating from 9.30.

Update, 20 March: Nigel Parry, President of Whitewater NZ says, "Hi all, apologies to all those that travelled to the Mangahao release on Saturday. The operator informed us that the gate failed to open at 8 a.m. on the day and unlike the weather (rain events are also problematic for Mangahao releases) that is something that should be controllable. We will be talking to Trustpower next week on next steps and options to restore reliable recreational releases."

Mangahao release

Date: 
Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:00 - 16:00
Section: 
Mangahao Gorge

Release is cancelled due to excess water: a front passing over on Friday night is expected to fill the reservoir and prevent the bypass gate from opening, with uncontrolled spilling of the trip gates sending over 100 cumecs down the gorge.

Piripaua release

Date: 
Saturday, November 5, 2016 - 09:00 - 15:00
Section: 
Piripaua
28m3/s. c/- Genesis Energy. "Hawkes Bay Canoe Club (HBCC) members will be unable to attend the release as they will instead be assisting with the construction of a slalom site that weekend. Traditionally these one-day Piripaua releases are utilised by HBCC members, therefore we decided to cancel the release on the grounds that there would be insufficient paddlers."

Whakapapa natural flow (Cancelled)

Date: 
Sunday, September 4, 2016 - 09:00 - 16:00

Updated 7:05am 4 September: The Whakapapa river will be below 16 cumecs at 9am this morning, so the natural flow will not proceed today (Sunday 4 September).

Updated 7:03am 3 September: The Whakapapa will be below 16 cumecs and the no-take will not proceed today.

Tomorrow, Sunday 4th September, is the back up day and there is more rain forecast throughout today. Fingers crossed!

Whakapapa natural flow

Date: 
Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 09:00 - 16:00

Updated: 8:18am, Sunday 21 August: Non-take still cancelled, next opportunity is September 3.
Updated: 7:48am, Saturday 20 August: Natural flow cancelled.
99% chance of natural flow not occurring due to low water and unfavourable forecast.
Backup day is Sunday 21 August. c/- Genesis Energy.

Syndicate content
This site is a beta version.