Our purpose is to preserve New Zealand's whitewater resources and enhance opportunities to enjoy them safely.

Canoeing the Clarence river

Looking for some info on canoeing the Clarence river. We are a party of 2 from Canada, experienced whitewater canoeists and are having difficulty gathering info on this river. Looking to do a 5+ day trip.

1. What is the best time of the year for canoeing the Clarence. We will be on the South Island between mid-January and the beginning of March 2014. As of now our plan is to paddle the river towards the end of February. Is it too late or will the river still be high enough?

2. Can you even hire canoes in the area, and does anyone offer a shuttle service? I have emailed a couple rafting companies but have not had any answers.

Thanks a lot.

kayakshaun's picture

NOLS (www.nols.edu) run canoe trips down the Clarence but I doubt you'd be able to just hire gear from them. I haven't heard of any canoe hireers in the South Island.

February is likely pretty late for a reliable flow. You may get lucky if there's some rain at the time you're looking at though.

Nathan at Inland Adventures might also be able to help with a shuttle.

Have fun!

Mike Birch's picture

Not sure if anyone rents canoes, but for the shuttle try:
http://www.clarenceriverrafting.co.nz/shuttles.html

This site is a beta version.