Our purpose is to preserve New Zealand's whitewater resources and enhance opportunities to enjoy them safely.

Anyone paddling Tongariro Easter Weekend?

I will be traveling from Taranaki to Turangi on 24 March and paddling the Tongariro on Friday and/or Saturday Sunday. Am paddling with my kids age 11 & 14, so will run the easier sections. Will only have one vehicle. Hoping to arrange shuttles and perhaps to go down alongside other paddlers. Dan

dangoodkind's picture

Hi Lee, sorry I missed your call. Will call you at home Thursday eve or Saturday if that works for you -
Dan

northern-paddler's picture

I have just put your number in my phone and Ill give you a call shortly or on the weekend, Cheers Lee

dangoodkind's picture

Hi, thanks for responding. I've booked a room at the Judges Pool motel in Turangi Thursday - Sunday evening. My son and I own kayaks, which we'll bring. I have a two-person raft for my daughter and there is space for one other in the raft. (If it's just the three of us, I'll probably need to go in the raft with my daughter, but that depends on the level and the power of the river as to whether she could handle the raft herself.) I've never paddled the Tongariro. I was planning on learning about it and which runs would be best from the local residents or guides, but it would be terrific to paddle with someone else who has been down the river before. We'll be planning our activities in Turangi according to the weather. Hopefully, we will spend at least one day and perhaps two running the river. Dan Goodkind 027-545-5885 dangoodkind@gmail.com

northern-paddler's picture

Hey, we have a 9 yr old and a 14 yr old who could be keen plus myself. What are you looking at doing? blue pool to red hut? Where are you planning to stay?

This site is a beta version.