Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 08:00 to 14:00
Replacement release for cancelled release on 10 April 2010. The NZ met-service is forecasting a frontal system to pass over the Mangahao catchment most of Friday 21st May. This may result in elevated flows into the Mangahao River and operation of the flood gates at No. 2 Dam. The flood-gates are not manipulated by personnel but are activated by the flood flow volume. It's quite possible that the flood-gates may operate prior to and or during the planned release on Saturday 21 May. Flows in the river could change very quickly in the range of 30 cumecs to 200+ cumecs. Please assess conditions carefully before committing to paddling the this Grade IV run. There is no easy way to evacuate from the river in case of emergency and at this time of the year air temperatures can be low and daylight hours are short. Please check this page on Friday evening for an update on the status of the reservoir levels and weather forecasts for the catchment. Update Friday 21 May 2009, 8:50pm The No.2 reservoir is unlikely to spill tomorrow and the release should be 30 cumecs as planned. Phone 06 362 7588 to check if the flood gates are open.