Family river trips

Where can we get hold of any information regarding river trips below grade three that are suitable for family river trips?

kayne's picture

How about the Whanganui if you want a couple days of it. Manawatu gorge got some super easy stuff (But high volume so good swimmers needed) an I agree with Narth, the rangi is fantastic. I have put in at River Valley and taken out Vinegar Hill. There are a couple rapids to watch but everything is scoutable.My suggestion would be to visit your local paddle retailer and hit them up.

nathankershaw's picture

It is hard to beat the Otaki for a lovely Gd II run with easy access, but it does need a bit of water (20 cumecs is enough, it is better with a bit more)

The beginner run is from Otaki forks (starting on the Waiotauru River)
I usually take out just below the Tararua Outdoor Centre, where you can park about 50m down a dirt track on river right. Make sure that you look at the take-out first! There is a small cliff on river right with some absailing gear (belonging to the Outdoor Centre) just before it.

There are some nice Gd II runs (with spectacular scenery) on the Rangitikei river around Mangaweka (just drop in to the Kayak centre there for the beta)

Good luck and enjoy them.

tony7's picture

We are based in the Hutt Valley

Deltaprime's picture

Whereabouts are you? What type of boats would you be planning to use? There are a number of rivers around Christchurch that would be suitable. Graham Egarr's book South Island Rivers has plenty of information on river trips that should be suitable for all grades of paddlers, from the Avon River in Christchurch to hair raising runs on the west coast.

Cheers

Richard