Hutt River

My friend and I are thinking of trying out the grade 2 near the top of the Hutt River. I'm qualified at grade 2, he falls out on flat water. Can anyone tell me if it's dodgy at all for us to do that run? Where do you recommend we get in and out? Cheers, thanks

alan.bell's picture

Make sure you get in below the Kaitoke Gorge section. You can get-in by the speedway and get out at the Akatawara confluence. Just watch out for the odd willow tree and river conservation works. Give me a call if you like - 04 5700232 . Whatever you do, don't put-in above the speedway or you'll be in for more than you want at this stage of your kayaking career.

dean.ford's picture

Hey Alex,

For a quick rundown on paddling the Hutt check out:

http://www.manakayakracing.co.nz/Hutt_guide/Hutt_River_Guide.pdf

The guide is written for multisporters, so recomends not paddling the river until there is a bit of water, but if you're using plastics probably no need to wait for rain.

But if you really want to get into the whitewater that the Wellington area has to offer come along to the Victoria Uni's Canoe Club nights at Freyberg pool on a Thursday at 8.30pm. We should be able to stop your mate falling out in flat water!

www.vucc.wellington.net.nz

cheers