Care to Share?

Hello my New Zealand Brothers,
I am trying to plan a trip down for mid-june for some paddling. I honestly don't care how cold it is, the North Fork of the Payette here in Idaho during the winter is (probably) colder. So, I was wondering if I could get a little help. I was wondering if there is going to be a whole lot of paddling around, the closer to Queenstown the better. Also, I was wondering if there is a group of solid paddlers around there or somewhere close by.

Thanks guys,
Andrew

Idaho Paddler's picture

Brilliant guys, thanks for all of the help.

Antz's picture

Hi Andrew,

If you're after gear to hire or buy then Element Outdoors in Queenstown has a small range of gear, better to bring you're own or if you want some newer gear contact PaddlerZone or CanoeWorld as Henry mentioned.

Mid-Winter paddling down here is almost entirely on the Kawarau River, grade 3-5 depending how keen you are. The Central Otago Whitewater Club has an annual mid-winter trip down the Roaring Meg section on the Saturday closest to the shortest day. (Around the 20th I think).

Get in touch when you're here and will probably be keen to join you for a paddle.

Cheers

Antz - 021 721 770 / cumecmagazine @ clear.net.nz

henry1's picture

Theres a dealer for pyranha kayaks near there, but not a specific paddling shop. Your best bet is paddlerzone or canoe and outdoor world in christchurch. Or if your further north theres a shop in murchison otherwise your out of luck in the south island.

Idaho Paddler's picture

Brilliant. Do you know if there is a paddling shop down there?

henry1's picture

You shouldnt have trouble finding people to paddle with round queenstown. Theres plenty of paddling round there, with the kawarau always on and then other stuff when it rains.