Federated Farmers supports water grab from Hurunui River

Forums: 
ian10's picture

Most likely proposal to be progressed is a dam on the South Branch. This would remove about 1/4 to 1/3 of the Maori Gully flow. The concept is to use the stored water to either have controlled releases down the river at times of peak irrigation or to pipe it through to the Waipara and use it for irrigation around the vineyard areas. Has been pretty quiet recently and I'm not sure how much has been done investigating these proposals. There would be strong opposition from all river-user and conservation groups to this proposal. Our biggest allies would be Fish and Game due to South Branch's importance as a fishery.

jonathan's picture

One dam proposal is for a dam at Mandamus that would have a storage lake going back to just below Maori Gully. The idea was floated back in 1998 by Waitaki hydro designer Max Smith, and a public meeting held in 2000 saw significant opposition, so things have been a bit quiet since.

[%sig%]

mike14's picture

Where abouts will the dam be, how much water will be taken away, what will happen to the much loved maori gully.

tim3's picture

Yeah see Ian and ECan. But if you get stuck contact me

ben9's picture

thanks heaps

jonathan's picture

I suggest you contact ECan. They have commissioned a bunch of reports on the Hurunui regarding existing water use, proposed use, recreational amenity, wildlife etc.

Also, Ian Gill-Fox at Macpac has been actively involved in the Hurunui Minimum Flows Advisory Group.

[%sig%]

ben9's picture

I am a student at cpit poly tec. I have studying a degree in outdoor education and adventure recreation. if anyone has more detailed info on the proposed dam or on how much the farmers currently take from the river I would much appreciate some more info

cheers ryan