Buller Conservation Order

Forums: 

Thought some of you out there might find this interesting

From the Press 22/1/2004

Buller Application
A speacial tribunal is being set up to hear an application to modify the conservation order for the Buller river.
Enviroment Minister Marian Hobbs said the Buller conservation order provided varying degrees of protection for the river. Majac Trust had request leave to apply for consent from the Tasman District Council to divert water from the Gowan River a tributary of the Buller river for a hydro-electric scheme.

christine.win's picture

Hi, I live in the Gowan Valley and am one of two properties that will be the most affected by the Majac Trust hydro scheme. We have expected notices in the paper for the last week so should be any day now that submissions are called for.
Are your group going to be heard at the tribunal??? If so what stance are you taking?? Hope you can be of help to us to stop this conservation order being revoked.
We don't yet know how broad the tribunal submissions are allowed to be but hope to push to have fishing included in the order.

maree's picture

The Special Tribunal that the first message refers too hasn't been formed yet - when it is, they will publicly notify the proposed change, and there will be a set timeframe to get your submission in.

The NZRCA will definately be lodging a submission.

If you want to be contacted directly, I suggest you call the Ministry for the Environment and ask to be put on the mailing list.

Otherwise, just post notices on this Forum from time to time asking if anything has happened, and I'll let you know.

ruth.e..henderson's picture

Only heard about when at Nelson Lakes last w/e.
Where is it at?
What is the process if one wants to make submissions?