I have little personal knowledege of the issue. But for anyone in BOP who is interested:
- EBOP is thinking of using a 30 tonne excavator to roll Rock A to river right, out of the main flow of the Rangitaiki, as plugging the sieve between the two rocks that actually make up Rock A has not worked
- they are advertising for submissions, due March 10 (ie Wednesday!!), responses to firstname.lastname@example.org
- I have asked the NZRCA webmaster to post the report, by Ray Sperling of ProAdventure.co.nz, outlining the history of the problem, and the new proposal
- it is unclear from Ray's report where this is at in regards to a resource consent, however it looks like it is pretty advanced
- there appears to be little or no consultation with paddlers, NZRCA certainly didn't know about it until today despite submitting on the original consent application.
- and if you didn't know already, there is a major tree in Jeffs Joy creating a nasty hazard, scout this one !
Tony (editor, NZ Canoeing)