Kaituna- what can we do?

Forums: 

hello,
paddled the awesome gorge for the first time just this weekend and loved it. scenically it beats the upper sections @!#$ and those fast tight sections are amazing. I am trying to register my club as an affected group but is there anything more I can do to help protect this section of river?

bk's picture

Yeah right. Saturday was a little lonely on the Tuna

DC's picture

Hey don't forget the KAITUNA this weekend, kayakers we need you to support the day and turn up in numbers for a run down the river!!! or play in the hole etc.... we hope to do a good run down awesome and get some good numbers.
details

don't just think that someone else will fight the fight for you! if you value the Kaituna then come on out this weekend!
If you have never run the Awesome gorge section and want to make a public statement at the same time please come along....

Donald Calder 021343980

elise's picture

wow thats a new low, this is our people. It's not just the kayaking that we are looking to protect, its the land and our history. Yes we will lose a sick run, more importantly we will lose a piece of Aotearoa.

matt.wheeler's picture

It is racism like this that makes me sad to live in this country.

There are many many examples of people threatening and taking arms to protect what they treasure. If you had grown up on the banks of this river and your parents and their parents and they had been buried their you might feel a little different about it. This is his cultural expression of this. And you make fun of him. An elderly man.

Shame on you.

doesnt.matter's picture

what a Maori using your Patu hahahahaha typical Maoris having to have their say in every lil thing and complaining about everything....shut up its only a dam!!!!

sunspots.kayak.shop's picture

3.17 We spoke earlier of the depth of feeling shown in the evidence. Let us give some examples. Mata Morehu described the course of the Kaituna River from Lake Rotoiti downstream. He told us of the sequence of natural features, illustrating the history of each. He spoke with deep emotion of the place called Te Wai-i-rangi, a stretch of the water near to where the discharge is to take place as the pipeline is now planned. This spot on the river (a lovely clear pool from which the river flows on into a green tunnel of vegetation) was, he said, the place "where my ancestors returning from battle would go to the water and rid themselves of the tapu upon them after the bloodshed of warfare." He went on to speak of burial caves that line the river in the steep gorges through which it runs, all of which are sacred places to the Ngati Pikiao. If the river were to be placed under tapu these sacred places would become inaccessible. The silence in the meeting house as he spoke showed the close attention which all present, Maori and European alike, paid to his words.

3.21 But perhaps the most dramatic moment in the whole hearing was when a white-haired elderly Maori man came forward and introduced himself as Tamati Wharehuia from Te Matai, an elder of his tribe and one of a long line of Chiefs who had lived by the Kaituna River for generations. (He is also known by the European name of Bob Roberts and is one of the claimants). He told us, as the others had done, of the importance of the river, of its prominent place in tribal history, of the events that had occurred from time to time and from place to place down the whole course of the waterway. He urged upon us the need to protect it from harm and likened the river to his own people whom he had a duty to protect from harm. Then, in a ringing voice he brandished his tokotoko (staff) and said to us: "...If this scheme goes ahead I want to make it clear that I will myself have to take direct action. I will take the patu that has been handed down to me from my ancestors generation by generation and do injury to stop this thing. After that the law must take its course with me, but that is beside the point..."

3.18 Mrs Emily Schuster is a weaver of great skill and standing, not only in the local Maori community but throughout New Zealand. She conducts classes in arts and crafts and the products of her work were put before us. She spoke in detail of the raw materials she and her students gathered from the river banks and she told us, naming each, of the qualities of one type of vegetation after another. "In the Rotorua area," she said quite sadly, "we have progressed so much that the only place I can take the women is along the Kaituna River. The kiekie is essential and has to be specially treated. To get the true whiteness out of the kiakia it must be soaked in running water and the only place we can do this is the Kaituna..." Even to the untrained eye the quality of her workmanship was obvious, and the importance to her work of the flora on the Kaituna riverbanks was plainly evident. She told us that she "would lay down her life to save the Kaituna."

chris.a's picture

chris.a's picture

A few other ideas......

1. Could we get a group of Okere adventure tourism people together to hook someone like the Sunday Star Times up with a trip down the Awesome Groge- sure they'd do an article on it in their magazine section at least.

It's all about building up interest in that section of the river.

chris.a's picture

I've asked a colleague @ TVNZ for his details.

I'm very interested in helping out where I can....

More than happy to speak to any submission if others have done some of the research work (i'm just a bit busy atm to do too much research).

pete0's picture

The journalist that helped us out was John Newton. Sorry but I have lost his contact number but he was very supportive of our plight..

pete0's picture

We were approached for a spot on the TV One News against the Mokau River Dam project just because one of the reporters saw an article in our local paper and contacted us about it. We had approached the papers to let them know what was happening and to involve any one else who knew little or nothing about the project.
I understand there has been 80 odd submissions of which 70 odd are against. We don't know if the extra media coverage has helped but we have our fingers crossed. Unfortunately we have also created a 'kayaker hater' in the King Country Energy CEO because of the stir we have created.

Bugger it, maybe contact TVNZ direct to let them know and see if they are interested in the story. It's topical at the moment. Give it a go.

Pete

andy.fuller's picture

I would imagine that having as many people 'in the know' as possible would be good. I spoke to the guy from the dam planning people and they promised to keep me notified and yet I knew nothing of the meeting held last week (which I would have attended)!

cep32's picture

Is there any value in opening this one up to the wider media? It may be useful to see what the general public opinion is as we may find that we have wider support than we think. The Bay Times has a reporter that is likely to support this one if need be.

Only few people turned up at the public meeting last week about the DAM proposal.
There was little new information except a couple of nice areal photos of the area.
The DAM is proposed to be built at the spot in between the first and the 2nd george (of the awsome george section) at the spot where the sledgers are using as a take out.
the water will be in a canal similar to the Aniwhenua section, and put back into the river below the Knarly george section. That will efectivly leave the 2nd half of Awsome george and the whole of knarly george section dry. and the top half of Awsome backed up to the Trout pools.

At the moment I guess the key points from the meeting are.

-There are a number of other DAM proposals on the cards for the Kaituna with Mighty River Power that will start at the foot of the Awsome george proposal.
- Major Objectors to the current scheme could be DOC as the land on river left of Awsome george in Senic Reserve.
-Iwi have apperently given full blessing to the proposal as it is to be built on their land, there have been veiled threats that river users should support this scheme or access will be made dificult or impossable for other sections of river.
- Talk of mitigating effects to river users were very vauge as they do not believe there is any access to this section of river so they do not consider it a big issue.
- This scheme is relativly small proposing only to gererate peak flows of 13MW.

My views -
I think that we should try to keep the Kaituna as a free flowing river as it is one of the few kayaking rivers left in the upper north Is. that is not affected by hydro development of any kind.
I have been reading the Waitangi ruling info from when Ngati Pikio oposed the Rot dis council pumping Rotorua sewrage in the Kaituna there may be some of the rulings form that support keeping it as a free river and may help build a case not to dam the Kaituna?
If anyone wants a copy I can e mail you the PDF file to read.

liam's picture

yea a damn that will ruin sum sick runs for paddlers ! why would you want the dame there