Waitaha HEP threat

Forums: 

see http://www.greystar.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=899&...

i was going to write in immediately tonight, but instead i'll contact West Power tomorrow for details. This is a horrendous idea with no compromise that I can think of. I'll post the details i can find to this thread.

duncan's picture

Hi Angus

We're always keen to find people who can help us (WWNZ) fight battles.

Get in touch with Tony or myself on conservation@rivers.org.nz and we can chat.

Cheers

Glenn

quentin.duthie's picture

No Impact Assessments except for projects where consents have been lodged. But have a look at the reports from the Waters of National Importance project, e.g. Mokihinui is ranked 7th most important for natural heritage. but also sought after for hydro...

http://www.mfe.govt.nz/issues/water/prog-action/index.html

ali's picture

If you can find a copy of wild rivers it out line the grand scheme (back in the day) for the buller and clarance...like a grand "western diversion"
The thing about the coast i guess is the geo, fractured schist, and other metamorphic it's going to be costly to put on in anywhere....apart from the kakapotahi, i guess.
I learnt to paddle on the arnold, and dont recal any seeps, I am from Taranaki and we have lots up here, ther are strangly more active when there is local drilling (lots at the moment)T2 wrote:
>
> Pretty much all rivers on the coast are being investigated in
> more detail again these days (most have had previous
> investigations during the 70-80's).
> THe Waitaha proposal was only a small paragraph in the
> Westport News (I guess the same in the Grey) so there was not
> much info to be read Rex.
>
> And oh yeah, have never actually paddled the Arnold but being
> a geo geek I am keen to check out the Kotuku oil seeps near
> the Arnold now exploration permits have been granted for the
> area. I guess they must be somewhere near Petroleum Creek.

rex's picture

OK, now i feel left out. What *does* it say?

Rex

t20's picture

Pretty much all rivers on the coast are being investigated in more detail again these days (most have had previous investigations during the 70-80's).
THe Waitaha proposal was only a small paragraph in the Westport News (I guess the same in the Grey) so there was not much info to be read Rex.

And oh yeah, have never actually paddled the Arnold but being a geo geek I am keen to check out the Kotuku oil seeps near the Arnold now exploration permits have been granted for the area. I guess they must be somewhere near Petroleum Creek.

angus0's picture

Does anyone know where I could get the environmental impact assessments for any of these rivers? If they are available.

ali's picture

where on the Maitai?? They going to dam the other branch too?? Nice little grade 3 creek up there when it flows.

t20's picture

Also on the list are the Mokihinui,and Maitai in the buller Area for dams. Both have been surveyed recently.

Hmmm, West Coast export coal. For your information premium grade coal is not normally used for electricity production.
And hey I own a steel car and am not giving up my carbon paddle and a Carbon fibre bicycle, so I can't complain.

carey.dillon's picture

I saw this. I rang Roger Griffiths at Westpower. He says - no problem there are no recreational users there! I am confused - I thought the Waitaha was world famous water.
Andy call me for a talk 03 7369741
Carey

carey.dillon's picture

I saw this. I rang Roger Griffiths at Westpower. He says - no problem there are no recreational users there. Can anyone clarify this for me. I thought the Waitaha was world famous water!
The problem is that this is all downhill from here. Our rivers on the West Coast are doomed unless we make an effort now.! To illustrate how important this is - case in point:- Ngai Tahu hearing North Bank Tunnel hydro - Waitaki River - September 2007; Counsel for Ngai Tahu argued "...now the degraded state of the river would make it easier for the applicant power co to get water consent because the landscape was no longer significant" - etch into brain "landscape was no longer significant!" Similar arguments are being put forward for the Arnold.
There are plans in the wind for not only the Arnold, Waitaha, but also the Taipo (flow monitoring in progress) ,Taramakau, Wanganui (Hari Hari) and more
None of us wants to be "anti Progress" the governments policy to use "renewable" hydro seems ok right? One thing though. Not too far from the Arnold that same Government is busy mining hundreds of thousands of tons of coal - It does not make the slightest difference where that coal is burned - the result for the planet is the same - it negates any pc woolly thinking of hypocritical policy like renewable hydro.
An enormous amount of money is spent in this country by tourists who come to see/enjoy our wild and scenic rivers. They have dams at home.
Carey

rex's picture

Andy England wrote:

>http://www.greystar.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=899&...

i get

You are not authorised to view this resource.
You need to login.

Care to summarise?

Rex

gus's picture

1st up congrats on the C.O.T.Y. Its great to have our sport's leaders and heros made known and celebrated.
2ndly, I am also a member of the shoulder dislocation club, and am currently recovering from stabilisation surgery. I am keen to share experiences with other grade 4/5 paddlers about rehab. What works, who are the experts etc.
3rdly, I am inspired by your efforts on river conservation and, having much time to reflect and twiddle thumbs, I would like to become involved in some way. Its been nearly a year since I paddled anything remotely steep and is likely to be many months till I do any more, yet I can't stop thinking about beautiful west coast creeks and the like. I'd like to make sure there are still some to paddle

If you get the chance, please email me: sovietsquirrel@hotmail.com

Cheers