Mokihinui river dam

Forums: 

Are all the kayakers out there aware of the dam proposal up the mokihinui? It will be dammed all the way up to specimens creek (that means a huge day, maybe more of flat water paddling after the north branch)

Meridian is government owned...

The north branch is one of the best kayaking/rafting runs in NZ with a bit of water, really continuous grade 4 with a few pushing 5, excellent fishing and great camping spots as well.

http://www.meridianenergy.co.nz/OurProjects/Mokihinui+hydro+proposal.htm

alex.nash's picture

Ok thank you

quentin.duthie's picture

Awaiting Resource Consent commissioners' ruling due early next year. Council staff recommended against approval. Minister of conservation also will need to approve. Keep eye on Forest and Bird, and Greens websites. To get involved directly, contact F&B's Debs Martin on d.martin@forestandbird.org.nz

alex.nash's picture

Does anyone know what is happening with this Dam yet? Can't find any up to date information

chriss.taylor's picture

how about stopping the white bait fishing and save a native species it only seems to be done for money nowdays any way,and then they have the nerve to charge for a licence to catch trout an introdused pest speceis that feeds on our native fish,try and sell trout and see what happens.
If you want people on your side do some thing positive .
chriss taylor
a real conservationist

chriss.taylor's picture

how about stopping the white bait fishing and save a native species it only seems to be done for money nowdays any way,and then they have the nerve to charge for a licence to catch trout an introdused pest speceis that feeds on our native fish,try and sell trout and see what happens.
If you want people on your side do some thing positive .
chriss taylor
a real conservationist

quentin.duthie's picture

The Green Party is working on a campaign to save this wild river and its biodiversity - keep an eye out. Other NGOs are also actively working on it: Forest and Bird and Federated Mountain Clubs I think.

See: http://www.greens.org.nz/searchdocs/PR11686.html

howie's picture

Hi mate I live in Westport, which is close to the Mokihinui. I will be going up there to paddle it some time within the next few months. Its a crime that they even suggest damming it. If this dam somehow manages to go through I will be organising a mass kayak protest and plan on going and sitting in front of any diggers or buldozers in protest!!!

IF they dam the Mokihinui then whats to say they wont go damming other rivers on the Westcoast.... Like the Waitaha, which they are looking at also.

Its time we stopped complaining about the use of wind energy for power. I would rather see a wind turbine in the romote areas of NZ rather than a massive dam. People need to realise that our power usage is increasing and if its not hydro then it has to be something else, im sure we dont want to go Nuclea!

Sorry for the Rant Howie