Whitewater courses May-June?

Hi guys,

I am an Aussie planning a short trip over to NZ. I am interested in doing some paddling while I am there. I am wondering if anyone can suggest some opportunities to do some training or tag along with a trip during May-June (not sure if it's too cold and nobody paddles then). I would rate myself as a reasonably confident paddler in Grade 2-3 rapids. Most of my experience has been at the Olympic whitewater course at Penrith but I have also paddled the lower section of the Barrington River. I can Eskimo roll confidently in whitewater and can do all the basic moves (break in/out, ferry glide, brace, basic surfing, etc) on grade 2-3 rapids. I would be

If anyone can suggest any opportunities I could pursue or wouldn't mind an aussie tagging along with there trip, I would be most grateful.

All the commercial places I have checked out so far appear to be closed for the winter so hoping something else is possible.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

James
Sydney, Australia

PaddlerZone's picture

Hey James, if you`re around in the South Island why not contact the Whitewater Club - Christchurch based. They officially end their WW season 28 May but maybe individuals will be up for a run somewhere during a weekend. I`ve had the pleasure of tagging along on a few trips with them - they`re friendly and welcoming..... even to a pohm like me!
www.whitewater.org.nz