Kayak/canoe lessons/clubs for kids?

Just wondering if anyone knows of any clubs or lesson groups for kids? My son is almost 8 and really keen to learn more, and I think its a great sport for him, please drop me a line if you know of anything (we are in Christchurch) cheers, Bonita :)

waimarino dot com's picture

Hi there

We have the best little programme here in Tga and heve been helping kids reach national and international levels. First female to olympics this year!

stu.arnold's picture

Gi day Jenny

Give me a call on 027 526 0826

I'm south island based, running courses for beginners

Stu

jenny.sinclair's picture

Hi anthony
i am interested in learning to kayak-absolute beginner. I am thinking of integrating kayaking into school camp. Can you advise re: type of course, cost, time needed, place e.t.c
cheers jenny

Bruce Webber's picture

hey started our now 7 going on 8 on a weenie wave siton and has progressed to a Fun 1 we kayak a lot and I did have a kayak school but my advice is find a sit on kayak and if your kid is fired up the wright oppertunities will turn up. We take alsorts for 1st timers down G2 rivers on Sit-on and if they like we progress to WW kayaks. Most importent is to have fun during the learning phase I mean lots of fun.

bonita.williams's picture

Sweet, we have just put him in a normal canoe (I know nothing about it) and he goes up and down the wee lagoon we have on our farm! I will pop on in next time we are in the area though :) thanks so much, Bonita

antz3's picture

Hi what type of kayaking is your son interested in? Whitewater, Sit on Tops, Sea Kayaking.

Jackson Kayaks produce child size whitewater kayaks, or you can use small sit-on-top kayaks for paddling on the Avon. Feel free to come into Kayak Unlimited 110 Seaview Rd New Brighton, we are more than happy to discuss options with you.
We can also arrange individual or group instruction/trips.

Hope that helps.

Anthony