US Woman Dies on the Mohaka

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/drownings/news/article.cfm?c_id=1500867&object...

She was rafting with her family and the all swam Te Hoe and she got pinned under a rock.

The weren't with a commercial company but I guess they hired gear?
excuse my ignorance but is Te Hoe the section most class as the hardest on the grade 3 section where you have to make 3 moves around holes/stopper waves and you can scout the whole thing from river right?

I have paddled it twice for uni and I am trying to work out where she would have been held as a lot of our classmates swam that section and were totally fine. The flow is probably way lower right now though and I wonder what standard their BA's were.

This is one of those issues where nobody will ever have the answer to stop these tragedies happening just continual education.

mike r's picture

This section in question is aove the bridge that leads into the forestry areas. The put in is the second camp ground down from memory cant rememer the name for the life of me. At low flows The Te hoe drop is about 1m-1.5m high and there is a rock just down stream on the left i think where she may have got stuck. The willow flat section G4 from the bridge down has a lot of undercuts but are manageable.

Lack of experience and knowledge of the river perhaps

Cameron S's picture

i believe its the section above the te hoe to willow flat, we were on the te hoe to willow flat when it would have been happening,
that river has lots of nasty undercuts

boyd1's picture

Perhaps this is the section off Napier Taupo highway down the end of Waitara Rd with the takeout on the gravel rd at Te Hoe bridge?

Regardless of where it is, this is sad news and sobering news for all of us out on the rivers...