Buying a new paddle

Forums: 

Thinking about buying a new whitewater paddle. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what sorts of paddles are good to buy.
Only going to be using it for playing in rivers and surf.
Not worried on spending about $550 for one.
Cheers

big.doog's picture

Just saw a jazzy jeff break 2 day

mike9's picture

whats this about taking on water tell me more as im considering a jazz at the mo and its not that much if i had $500 it would be a crank i'm considering

james5's picture

The Jazz forte is about $395!

jazzy.jeff.and.the.fresh.princess's picture

Why is it that every jazz forte ive seen takes on water?
If any one in there right mind is going to spend $500 on a paddle it must be at least a crank shaft!!!

matt.b's picture

Josh,

Nice work buddy all sorts of carnage with the fine reputations of elite paddle makers in the Country on the line... As you know I've got a Jazz Forte (it's the business), Pezzles has a Rochfort don't think he's broken it. Lets call it a draw.....

Matt B

Mike Birch's picture

I can also recommend Whetstone paddles - they are extremely strong and great value for money. I use a Jazz Forte, which is awesome for creeking/river running. They have a new shape out now, called the "Fulcrum", which is a rodeo paddle. Check out the latest Canoe and Kayak magazine - they have done a 2 page article about the construction and performance of these paddles. Also check out

josh8's picture

Where abouts is your shop??

sunspots.kayak.shop's picture

I agree there is no such thing as an unbreakable paddle.
that is why we gurantee to replace blades for free in the first year if you break one paddling.
We do not make any claim that our paddles are indestructable.
In just over a year that we have been making the Rochfort paddles we have not had one paddle with a broken blade that we have made returned to us.
I have seen a few with broken shafts (which is what Ben is probably saw).
Shafts are mostly manufactured by the company Kilwell. Almost every major paddle manufacturer in the world chooses to use these shafts because they are the strongest and the best. but it is still possable to break them.
Oh and Rye I am bias because i make them, I do know that they are as good as any other brand and I will stand by that and the product.
I still sell every other brand of paddles that is available in NZ because i know that different paddlers have different taste I stock over 100 paddles in our shop from a dozen manufacturers, I think we have the biggest range in NZ on display.
Rye wrote:
>
> I Have had two mates break their rochfort paddles, one of
> them twice!!! and they chip easy! (compaired to other
> paddles) you are bais as you sell and make the paddles im
> talking straight up!!! WORD UP!!!
> And Katie cant come!!!

rye's picture

I Have had two mates break their rochfort paddles, one of them twice!!! and they chip easy! (compaired to other paddles) you are bais as you sell and make the paddles im talking straight up!!! WORD UP!!!
And Katie cant come!!!

rogy's picture

Thats nice matt
But any paddle in the world will break if you hit it wrong
there is no such thing as an unbreakable paddle.

matt12's picture

gidday donald,
i saw my mate damo break one, snapped it clean in 2. just your standard 3m seal launch.

sunspots.kayak.shop's picture

Hey Ben that is a satement i would like to see you back up!
I manufacture Rochfort paddles and sell them along side every other brand of kayak paddles available in NZ.
Rochfort paddles carry a warrenty against breakage, that is how confident we are with the product - and we very rarely see broken paddles.

ben9's picture

I have a Jazz Forte from Epaddles.com They the @!#$.totally sick!! $385
Way better than rochfort they break all the time!!!

mark8's picture

I have one of these paddles and have used many other different ones over the years, these paddles are really really good and they are really well priced for what they are. Check out www.onlinekayaks.com or kaitunakayaks.com they have some pictures.

toby0's picture

kenny mutton has some sick cranks he has been developing and are now for sale, similar to a lettman blade shape they are carbon cranks, and are real strong, he is selling them direct for around 500$ i think.
give him a call 073624486 or 021gokayak.

canoe.&.kayak.north.shore's picture

We have the descente or 'whetstone' paddles in stock. They have just been rated the strongest blades in the world, and they paddle really nicely. They retail at $380
If your interested ph 09 479 1002, or reply to email
Cheers sam

juan's picture

I just bought one of the New Rochfort paddles and they are made in NZ and are super strong. I had one for about 4 years and the thing wore out and never broke and that is saying somthing because i am hard on gear. I would recomend them to anyone.
Another cool thing is you can get them totaly custom made for cheaper than the imported paddles.