poor eyesight

Forums: 

I made it to fifty without boating with glasses, but a retinal detachment from a mountain bike crash has me wanting to see better on the river.

Anyone care to share their successful experiences with eye correction and kayaking? Contacts have disappeared after the first rapid, leaving me with even weaker vision since my eyes adjust to the lenses. I've tried glasses, but they seem to fog instantly after a roll if the water is at all cold, though I think I could deal with the water drops. Suggestions?

steve5's picture

I myself use Focus dailies which my local optometrist have in stock. I find them good but I still lose more than I'd like. Will look to do Lasek in the future but that'll be a long way off at it's current cost.
The thought does concern me though of one day losing one/both contacts mid rapid and copping a beating for being unable to see where to go

chucktanguay's picture

I should have done Lasek a while ago. Anybody know any secret techniques for wearing glasses on a river, for the immediate future?Boyd wrote:
>
> I agree with Duncan and have had one eye done, the other was
> kinda OK,
> it alowed me to continue progressing with paddling, as
> without it it became just a blind gamble trying to run
> something I couldnt really see, I highly recommend it,
>
> ps have heard about your crazy mountain bike adventures,

boyd2's picture

I agree with Duncan and have had one eye done, the other was kinda OK,
it alowed me to continue progressing with paddling, as without it it became just a blind gamble trying to run something I couldnt really see, I highly recommend it,

ps have heard about your crazy mountain bike adventures,

duncan0's picture

I had my eyes lasered (LASEK) about 4 months ago which has worked brilliantly for kayaking. Suggest you see a good opthalmologist with significant experience in these procedures to discuss the options. The operation, like all, is not without risk - I still have more glare at night than I would like.

Duncan

sonja's picture

Hi,
as I can only see with one eye (since my birth), so have to be really careful about my other eye, I would never suggest anybody to do an operation. I always paddle with one day contact lenses, which sometimes change the place, and very seldom get lost. But for this case, I always have some spare pairs, as without any correction, I'm close to be blind. There are different type of daily contact lenses, I always buy focus daily, but I'm not sure if you can get them here in NZ. I tried Acue Vue before, but they are too big and too loose. I would suggest to you to try different kind of contact lenses before getting operated.
Cheers,
Sonja

kei's picture

I am using one-month disposal contact lenses, HYDRON ACTITORIC and have no problem. Usually, I close my eyes under the water, but even opening my eyes instinctively hasn't caused any problems so far.

I used to use oneday acuvue, but it didn't hold to splash. I guess it's too thin.