Looking for paddling buddies in the South

Forums: 

Hello,
I'm a 28 year old English kayaker. I'll be moving to Dunedin for a year on 28th October, and I'm looking for paddling buddies. I posted a message a few weeks ago (see below), but received no response. So, I'm widening my appeal to anyone in the south. If you live in, say, Queenstown or Invercargil and want to meet up in, say, Queenstown for a weekend's boating, then let me know.

I've been paddling for about 10 years. I've paddled in California, Canada, Nepal, Uganda, Zambia, Australia, New Zealand, and obviously extensively in Europe. When I came to New Zealand last year I paddled the Buller, Matakitaki, Glenroy, Opara, Blackball creek, Arahura, Whitcome, Taipo, Totora, Toaroha, Kakapotahi, Crooked, Styx, Perth, Wanganui, and Fox.

I enjoy all levels of playboating and creeking, so please get in touch whether you're a grade 3 paddler, a grade 5 knucklehead, or if you just want to go for a chilled surf after work.

My e-mail address is: robin.scott@nottingham.ac.uk

Cheers,
Robin.

jordy's picture

If you got free time in Febuary there are a group of us who will be paddleing on the coast I think. Welcome to join.

Get hold of me if so, about the 21st-24th we'll be there.

Jordan 027 325 8820

andy7's picture

Hey there,
I'm in Dunedin for another four weeks before i fly out to canada for the winter, but i'm keen to get out in my boat 1-2 more times. Either a surf or a day trip to a river.. Im an experienced white water paddler, but wouldn't class myself as being 'paddle fit' at the mo... so gentle play runs or a surf would be choice!!
Contact me on 021416599 if you are keen to catch up.
Cheers Andy

antz0's picture

hey mate i believe there is are informal thursday night surfs starting up 5:30pm at St Clair Beach, everyone's pretty friendly down there so just rock up.
Should be able to meet some other boaters around town, otherwise head up the coast on some days off and goto the Mahinepua Pub.
will be in dunedin in a couple of weeks, not sure for how long will be keen for a surf for sure

danny's picture

Gday, i saved this ages ago and just found it again in my favourites.Im Danny Also of English decent (Cheadle, Staffs, not too far away,)I moved here in 93 and have been back several times.Im in Christchurch but enjoy paddling in Qtown from time to time. Im sure by now you have found some paddling buddies and your having a good time.If you still keen to head to qtown for a weekend, i could do this sometime in february. I have paddled there before, The meg, Dogs leg on the Kawarau and the shotover river. I paddle lots in Murchison, lower matakitaki, earth quake, granity on the buller, Glenroy etc.
Im looking to start paddling on the coast (starting by finding a good creeker)
Let Me know how you getting on
Danny

shane's picture

sup bro. if your crusin round the coast give me a buzz. 0274 835 603

dan3's picture

if you are ever on the west coast give me a bell on 027 3123 0893 an we will hook up an go for a paddle