river kayak information!

Forums: 

Hi,
I come from QuÈbec and I would like pass a couple months in N-Z. (January-febuary maybe march, I don't know, I have 7 months free) I would like paddle but I can't keep my gear kayak with me. I suppose it's possible to rent a kayak stock than QuÈbec? I would like yours suggestions for know where are the goods places (towns) near a river and club kayak... Sorry for my bad english... I hope you understand me!
Thank!

Patricia
patricianormand@hotmail.com

patricia's picture

Thank you so much for information! =-)

patricia's picture

Thank!!! =o)

Deltaprime's picture

Bonjour

It is also definitely worth buying a copy of Graham Charles NZ Whitewater guide available on this site . This will give you a run down on most of the popular rivers with plenty of details. This will help narrow down what you want to do.

Cheers

Richard

patricia's picture

Thank so lot Richard I will check this!
Have fun!
Patricia

Deltaprime's picture

Bonjour

Christchurch is a great place to be based. It is a reasonable sized city (about 340000 people) and is reasonably pleasent to live in. There are some good local rivers, a number of kayak shops (hire gear is available), a great kayak club () and plenty of paddlers. Christchurch is also close to Murchison and the West Coast which allows easy access to some of the best whitewater in the country. The South Island has plenty of great scenery too.

Cheers

Richard

lu1's picture

It would be worth spending a bit of time at the Kaituna in Rotorua too. Popular place and always lots of kayakers around in summer, also close to the Wairoa river & rivers around Taupo. There is a good shop near the river that has all the gear you might need to hire.