Matariki falls

Forums: 

Has anyone run the matariki falls on the whakapapnui stream? Keen to do it.

grahamc's picture

James10 can you email me at imagematters@clear.net.nz I'm re writing the whitewater guide and have some questions for you. Cheers

james10's picture

Paddled it in march 2004 after the big floods that hit the north island. 3 of us did it with 2 popped decks and one close call with the undercut in river right. Relatively soft landing though and what a beautiful drop. Need to be a little careful of water level in my opinion. It you look up from the whakapapa bridge there are 2 drops the second of which falls onto rocks. When we did it the water level was about 20cm from the top of these rocks. should be quite obvious. The lead in to the drop requires a swift righthand turn at the lip which would be more difficult and more boney in low water. If its a lot higher than when we did it then the undercut at the base on river right may become dangerous. Best of luck though, it kicks @!#$. If you are getting in at the bridge there is another 4-4+ rapid before the falls. If you don't run the falls there is a solid seal launch option river right but I recon its more scary than the falls.
Have a blast.

james10's picture

I remember guessing 11 or 12m but not absolutely sure. Seems smaller than Maruia anyway (13m?). The only gauge I have for it is visual looking at that rock upstream of the bridge. I made a note of that after we did it. I don't get down there very often so not sure how common that flow is but it was 2-3 days after very heavy rain so you may need to wait for the right opportunity. The whole plateau was running high. The flow seemed perfect when we did it and I know people have opted for the seal launch at lower flows. Landing was soft as can be expected although my mate got a black eye when he hit his forearm on impact. Tucking hard would is recommended, it is quite a fall afterall.
>
> Thanks man. how high do you think the drop is? what do you
> think the best flow would be? was it very fluffy at the
> bottom? The undercut doesnt seem too bad but then again it
> was very low when i was there.

et0's picture

Thanks man. how high do you think the drop is? what do you think the best flow would be? was it very fluffy at the bottom? The undercut doesnt seem too bad but then again it was very low when i was there.