2008 NZ FREESTYLE TEAM SELECTIONS

Forums: 

2008 NZ FREESTYLE TEAM SELECTIONS

The NZ Freestyle Kayaking committee is organising a freestyle event to select the 2008 national team. The event is open to everyone that wants to compete, even if you don’t want to be selected for the team, the more the merrier.

2008 is a Freestyle World Cup series year for which you don’t need to be part of a national team to compete. These selections are for competition practice for those wanting to go to the world cup, ranking purposes and the glory of the “National Champ” title.

EVENT DETAILS:

Date: 19th/20th April

Where: Sat – Bottom Hole (Kaituna River), Rotorua
Sun – In da Surf (depends on where the waves are,probably Raglan, to be decided on Sat/Sun)

Time: 10am Sat (Sun start time to be decided on sat depending on numbers)

Cost: $30 - $40 depending on numbers (for both days)

Categories: K1 Men
K1 Women
Jnr Men
Jnr Women
Novice Men
Novice Women
Open Retro (@ bottom hole)
(please let us know if you would like to compete in Squirt or OC1)

Scoring: Per world cup Judging sheets. (We are getting our mitts on these at the moment, please let us know if you would like a copy prior)

Any questions, please e-mail us at nzfreestyle@gmail.com

ALSO:

WORLD CUP SERIES 2008
This is to be held in Europe in August, if you are interested in competing or would like more info, please e-mail NZFKA

WORLD CHAMPS 2009
These are to be held on a wave at Toon, Switzerland. If you would like more info on this, please e-mail NZFKA also.

Hope to see you all there, should be a fun weekend (don’t be scared it’s not too serious)

Louise Urwin
NZFKA

louise.urwin's picture

2009 event is being held 14-15th March, so just 2 weeks away.
Water will be available for practice at 9am and event starts at ten.

I will post more details shortly.

Cheers
LU :)

bk's picture

Has this competion already finished for 2008 0r is it being held 2009

louise.urwin's picture

OF COURSE!!
THE MORE THE MERRIER...UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE TO CHARGE $5 FOR ACCESS EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT PADDLING BUT SHOULD BE SOME GOOD VIEWING :)
AND IT'S A GREAT WEEKEND TO JUST COME ALONG AND HANG OUT WITH A BUNCH OF BOATERS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY.

louise.urwin's picture

OF COURSE!!
THE MORE THE MERRIER...UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE TO CHARGE $5 FOR ACCESS EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT PADDLING BUT SHOULD BE SOME GOOD VIEWING :)
AND IT'S A GREAT WEEKEND TO JUST COME ALONG AND HANG OUT WITH A BUNCH OF BOATERS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY.

bk's picture

Just learning. Are spectators welcome

bk's picture

Are spectators welcome. Can we get in the gate

louise.urwin's picture

Hey Ryan Dog...

Scoring for Pro class will be as per upcoming Worlds (Which are at end of Aug/start of Sep FYI). We are getting these from the Worlds committee so not sure of the details but will be more about variety. We haven't decided how to score the novice class yet as we want to keep it as simple and a bit of fun.
Most likely will be a few rides and best two count or something like that.

I'll put up more details in the next couple of days...still finalising a few things.

LU :)

Ryan Hunt's picture

Mean, should be sweet. Worlds scoring? Whats the deal with rides gonna be seeing as its a non attainable feature like thun?

louise.urwin's picture

Hey Nick

We're having an event on 14-15th March at FJ (will also be 2009 team trials). Just sorting out the details, we have water booked and access arranged, it's actually the same weekend as AUCC will be there too. Should be fun :)

nickwimsett's picture

is there no possibility of getting water at fj, with a constant flow. its way more like thun than the kaituna. relying on the surf is a bit unpredictable. its best to have a trail on a feature that is similar to the competition. and i'd love to go to fj for an event. i'm sure the local iwi will be cool if its for nationals.
chers nick wimsett

p.lab's picture

You know me LuLu always the smart @!#$! DC

lawrance.simpson's picture

jesus donald don't be such a @!#$ smart @!#$... ahaha

p.lab's picture

Just a note FYI - (Correction) I could be wrong but.....

"Toon" is not a place (but is the editor of a very cool magazine called Kayak Session Mag)
"Thun" on the other hand is a wave in Switzerland that is very cool and is most likely the site for the 09 worlds.