is anyone paddleing hard white water in the winter??

Forums: 

dear kiwi paddlers.
i am finding it challenging to find white water kayakers who are paddleing grade 4/5 kinda rivers. i understand it is winter here so there are less people out but i am sure there are some somewhere. i am very very keen to paddle, so if you would be happy to show a young Scot how Kiwi's paddle or direct me to where it's all happening then please, please email me at . thanks! :) i am only in New Zealand till mid September so can't wait till it gets warmer.

roger.hamlet's picture

hi Sam.
what grade are you talking about? do you have any one else you are paddleing with yet? would be great to find out more and see if there is a chance for us to over lap our paddling plans. email me at
cheers mate.

sam9's picture

Yeh G unit I will be in Rotorua from end of August for a month just paddling hard, have some sick things im keen to run so if you feel like going balls to the wall we should have some sick @!#$ times

roger.hamlet's picture

Brill!!!!
thats brilliant! thank you sooooo much!
i will see when i can fit that into my plans for when i'm in the north island. thats really kind of you.
i am thinking maybe the weekend of the 30th and 31st of August.
if you email me at then that'll give me your e-mail address and we can be in touch. :)

your a legend!

Ryan Hunt's picture

Sweet well theres a few of us paddling the Kaituna most days (in Rotorua if you havnt heard of it) so give me a email if your keen to paddle up here. Cheers.

roger.hamlet's picture

i am in Nelson for 2 weeks, then spending 2 weeks going down the west coast of the south and up to Christchurch, then have 2 weeks traveling around in the north island.

Ryan Hunt's picture

Where are you based?