suggestions for grade 3+ paddlers

Forums: 

Im a student at AUT taking part in an outdoor recreational leadership course. I'm looking for a 2, 3 or 4 day trip on grade 2+,3,4-, hopefully somewhere where you cannot normally get access to for a day trip, possibly 40 to 90 km in length, it could include a portage. A source to sea or source to lake trip might be interesting. Somewhere that many people don't paddle would be cool. If anyone could suggest the name of a river, section, grade, length, shuttle, camp sites, necessary flows, interesting things about the trip and any other relevant details it would be greatly appreciated.

moose's picture

Check out the Ngaruroro River for 4-6 days. It's in the guide book. The first few days are class 2-2+ depending on flows. It starts with a fly in and ends with the option of paddling a grade 3 to 4 section below for stronger paddlers. This is also a great raft support mission and has many different camping\hut options. Best done in summer and incredibly scenic with great fishing. Have a chat to Tihoi Venture School for more info as they run the trip twice a year.

mike r's picture

if you look into the mohaka talk to the guys at Kiwi Adventure Trust in napier who did a source to sea of it last year.

dalton's picture

hey thanks heaps for everything guys. discussing the motu with my class, sounds pretty good eh! dunno if i can do a fly in on anything though. theres about 16 of us going.

AllyPrice's picture

The Waioeka is another good one. Close to Motu. I believe you can fly in to the top which is G3-4 and continue on to the lower runs which are G2 over a few days. There's a lovely homestay right next to the river at the beginning of the G2 which Mary and Bob Redpath own http://www.wairatastation.com/ and they are super accomodating. Needs some rain. The bottom is really nice if you want to practice teaching skills with a couple of 2+/3- rapids that are easy to practice scouting and safety techiniques on.

Ally.

paddleman's picture

How about either the Motu, 3-4 day trip, contact Motu Jet for a shuttle. You can get a jetboat ride out to save a half days paddling. Or Ngaruroro 3-4 days with a fly in. The shuttle needs some working out. Make sure your boat fits in the back of a Cessna aircraft. It's possible to stock up on food on the Gental Annie Rd. Both trips are 90Km.
Happy paddling
Lee

darrin0's picture

try Mohaka-epic shuttle............