Slalom boat building

Forums: 

Scored myself a mould for a slalom kayak. Not to sure how good it will go but seems like something fun to do on the side.

However I have no idea how to build/glass/make the damm thing. So looking for some tips for me and the flatties to create these bad boys.

Fire away below with some tips

Chur
Aaron

boone's picture

Check out glassing tips on the net - there are heaps of vids
Use a release wax on the mould whenever you lay up the glass.
Use minimum amount of resin necessary to 'wet out' the glass - squegee excess resin off the layup area.
Leave to cure for a little bit (depending could be 4 hours to a day) then lay up your next layer.
Don't use a waxed resin on any but your last layer unless you want to sand every single layer (will stop subsequent layers from sticking properly)
Practice on a plastic bucket or something (these generally release pretty well - also good for making simple paddle blades with a spoon curve.
Check out the mould first - if it has nicks and gouges you need to put some work into that first to get it super smooth
Best way to learn is to just do it.....

Dodgy dan

george.kayak's picture

Make sure you use dust masks when you sand it down, and sand it outside as the fiberglass dust is pretty bad for you and makes everything very itchy also!